What’s better than mashed sweet potatoes? We add a little hint of the islands with some pineapple, brown sugar, maple syrup, and cream to end up with a velvety and fragrant side dish that makes a pork chop feel like it’s king of the world.
Pineapple Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Makes 4 to 6 Servings
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1.5 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, heated
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the sweet potatoes, pineapple, maple syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, salt and pepper in a buttered 9 by 13-inch baking dish, stirring to spread in an even layer. Cover tightly with foil and bake until the potatoes are soft, about 50-55 minutes.
Remove the sweet potatoes with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. (You can use a hand-held mixer but the potato masher will make you strong!)
Stir in the pineapple and juices remaining in the baking dish. Add the hot cream and cayenne and stir well. Serve immediately.
Want the reward without the effort? Stop in or make a reservation to dine at the Tupelo Honey nearest you!